Monday, July 21, 2008

It's Good to be Back

So school finally let out and somehow the treadmill got cranked up to nine. It's been a few weeks since I have been here, posting, and I have truly missed it. Two days after school let out we were at the train station, picking up Nina. She is the 13 year old niece of a college friend who is Brazilian. Our daughter went to stay with her family in Brazil three years ago and now it was Nina's turn to explore the States. We packed a lot into her visit, showing her five of the New England states and playing in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Maine. It was a fun Fourth of July, sharing our country's birthday with a child from another continent. There are so many stories and observations I will share in the weeks to come.

Then we drove to Boston and put her on a plane just as lightening was striking the tree in our front yard. It has been the summer of severe thunderstorms around here. After a day without phone or internet access I was relieved to be back in the high tech world.

The next day I started a six day work week, meaning I worked all night and slept during the day. Needless to say, not much gets done in the 'extra' category when I am working. (and unfortunately blogs fall under the extra label).

Finally, finally I am back. A few days off work are ahead of me and it is starting to feel like summer. We had an amazing weekend, watching one of my favorite bands, The Bacon Brothers, play in a concert in the nearby Catskills. (where the above picture was taken) Afterwards we went backstage and chatted with our friend Paul, who is in the band, and eventually had all the guys sign my leg. Pretty cool night, pictures coming.

So for now it feels good just to be back, checking in with this place that lets me write about whatever is on my mind. And boy is there a lot rumbling around up there now....

No comments: