Sunday, July 19, 2009

Relaxed Rules

My oldest two were best friends for the first five years of their lives. Being just over a year apart they had a built in best friend in those early years. Then school started and they found their own 'friends circles'.

So the other day it was easy for Michael to misunderstand a comment I made to his sister.

She had come to me, asking if she could spend the night at Toni's house. Toni is one of her best friends. She's a sweet, respectful girl. I looked at the calendar and decided it would be fine. "Sure," I said.

Michael, who had just walked into the office, looked shocked and horrified. "What?" he exclaimed, "What?"

"What's the matter with you?" I asked, "It shouldn't concern you. She and Toni won't be here to bother you."

Again he looked shocked and was now speechless. It wasn't until he found his voice again that I finally understood what horrified him so much.

"I can't believe it!" he said, "You're lettin' her spend the night with a DUDE?"

I guess to a guy's ears, a 'Toni' can only be a male.

No comments: